corpus-paul - Re CP: Summer Reading (Jerome M-O'C)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "J.E.Harding" <BSP97JEH AT sheffield.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re CP: Summer Reading (Jerome M-O'C)
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:38:26 +0100

As yet I have only read part of 'Paul: A Critical Life', and whilst I
agree with the comments made by Paul Miller, I think this is an
important and essential book for 2 reasons:

(1) At the outset, the author acknowledges that his work is
speculative, and proceeds from there.

(2) As such, the book is an example of how the life of an ancient
might be reconstructed, rather than the final word on the life of
Paul. This contrasts with many academic texts which seem to aim to
give the final word on a subject. My criticism of a book such as E.P.
Sanders' 'Paul and Palestinian Judaism' would be that it seems to be an
attempt to show how Paul should be read, and thus falls into the same
trap as many of the earlier scholars Sanders' criticises. The value
of Jerome Murphy O'Connor's work is that the author makes the problem
of method clear at the outset, and presents his research against that
background. In terms of method, it is a landmark in Pauline studies.

James Harding
University of Sheffield
>bsp97jeh AT sheffield.ac.uk<

  • Re CP: Summer Reading (Jerome M-O'C), J.E.Harding, 05/10/1999