corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "kosala@md2" <kosala AT md2.vsnl.net.in>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Good and Nice Guy
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 23:43:36 +0530

Dear Dr.Erickson,

Thank you for your comment. I do agree with you and can say that it may
also be with Paul. As Dr. Bultmann says, theologies are not free from
subjectivity. And it can never be. So also with Paul. Hence I also agree
that such questions which you have raised has their validity.

I smelled that you understood my remark as being my teaching you how to
follow Jesus. It was not my goal. I am sorry for this misunderstanding. I
just wanted to make some illustrations to say that to be a nice guy, as of
today, does need to overlook another's fault and mistakes to have one's
postition. Certainly we cannot totally negate such a thing also in the case
of Paul. He also attempted , as "the Apostle" (can we say so?)
to defend his position. We also see his anger upon others who have tried to
attack him as being a "weak" person and also how he defends his "receiving"
of the supports as the Apostle.

I just remember a sermon of a Pentecostal Pastor, where I happened to be
present that day (I am a "Lutheran") that no one has any right to question
him of how he used the Collection.

We see that the question is not easier to answer than to ask. Yet let it be
asked. It will certainly bring something "good" out of it. That is my faith.

Dr.Kishore Kosala.