corpus-paul - a question of protocol

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: a question of protocol
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:26:29 -0600

Since my message below was originally sent out under a heading which might not be of interest to all on the List, resulting in its not being read by all, I am posting it again. Reasons for my doing so are, I hope, self evident.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

*******************************

Bill Ross wrote:
  {Jeff}
  And my response to your point is that this is a thesis that would need to be
  argued.
  {Bill}    Something made more complicated by a lack of a common appreciation of the    plain use of words. [snip]

Bill,

This brings up the subject of what words need to be referred to by you or anyone on the list when
arguing about the meaning of a passage in a writing of, or attributed to, Paul.

Not to be heavy handed about this, but I will insist -- indeed, it is to be considered List Policy --
that the prime referent is *only and always* to be the Greek text of the passage in question. Using
the KJV or any other translation of the Greek text as the primary basis of exegesis of that text or for
claims about what the text "plainly says" is not acceptable. By the very nature of the enterprise,
translations are themselves *interpretations*  whose conclusions regarding the meaning and import
of the text may never without further ado be accepted as definitive or final.  To not recognize this is
to fail to understand one of the basic methodologies, namely, the historical-crtical method, by which
those participating here are expected (dare I say required?) to approach matters Pauline.

Posts which do not adhere to this policy may be rejected.

Apologies to those for whom this is only stating the obvious.

And apologies if seeing it twice causes any annoyance.
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • a question of protocol, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 04/01/1999