corpus-paul - RE: HILASTERION

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: HILASTERION
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:06:55 -0500

At 10:00 PM 3/31/99 -0600, you wrote:
>{Jim}
>but the whole concept of the "hilasterion" is that of expiation and not
>propitiation. It is an act of carrying away and not one of appeasing an
>angry God who has to eat the sacrifice to survive.
>
>{Bill}
>* "carrying away sin" is not a foreign concept to Hebrews because there was
>a "scape goat" in the OT, but much more common and more central to both the
>OT and the NT is the concept of the shedding of the blood of an innocent

Thats exactly what I said Bill. Propitiation is appeasement. Expiation is
a carrying away. You prove my point.

>* God's just wrath against sin and sinners is also a universal Biblical
>theme
>
>* Nothing was said about God eating sacrifices to survive, either on this
>list or in the context of OT or NT sacrifices

EXACTLY Bill! These truths negate your notion that propitiation is taking
place in the OT sacrificial system.

>The word "HILASTERION" is a cognate with "HILASKOMAI" meaning to secure the
>happiness and good will of (propitate), and "HILASKOMOS" which was a sin
>offering that repaired a broken relationship (propitiation).

no, no, no- you are describing expiation- NOT propitiation. The TWO are
DIFFERENT!

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • RE: HILASTERION, Jim West, 04/01/1999