corpus-paul - Chronological order of the Pauline Letters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Williams, Wes" <Wes.Williams AT echostar.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Chronological order of the Pauline Letters
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:23:51 -0700

I have always had a desire to detail the chronological order of Paul's
letter. While I'm sure many have done this before me, here is a sketch I put
together. Please offer a critique. References to authoritative works in this
area are appreciated. I am hoping that this is within the list's scope.

If there is a need to get into specifics of dating a letter by
cross-referencing Acts and history, I am open to that if within the list's
scope. My starting date of c. 50 comes from using the year 44 C.E. as an
underpinning and counting forward [According to Josephus (Jewish
Antiquities, XIX, 351 viii, 2), Herod Agrippa I reigned for three years
after the accession of Emperor Claudius (in 41 C.E.). Historical evidence
indicates that this Herod died in 44 C.E. (The New Encyclopædia Britannica,
1987, Vol. 5, page 880.)]. I am not as interested in the starting date as
much as the relative order.

Is this a fairly accurate sketch?

Book Place Completed

1 Thessalon Corinth c. 50
2 Thessalon Corinth c. 51
Galatians Corinth or c. 50-52
Syrian Antioch
1 Corinthians Ephesus c. 55
2 Corinthians Macedonia c. 55
Romans Corinth c. 56
Ephesians Rome c. 60-61
Philippians Rome c. 60-61
Colossians Rome c. 60-61
Philemon Rome c. 60-61
(for those who hold to a Pauline authorship)
Hebrews Rome c. 61
Titus Macedonia (?) c. 61-64
1 Timothy Macedonia c. 61-64
2 Timothy Rome c. 65