compostteas - [Compostteas] what makes a bad CT sprayer?

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jennifer Wallenfels" <jennifer AT nventure.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] what makes a bad CT sprayer?
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:40:15 -0700

Hi all,

Just joined this list a few days ago, and I'm fairly new to CT. I have so
many questions, but I should wait till I get a copy of The Compost Tea
Manual, because many are probably answered there.

But I will ask this one, since we are on the sprayer discussion: What makes
a given sprayer damage organisms? Is it how fine a mist it creates, or
perhaps the pressurization? I'm a home gardener; spending hundreds on a
sprayer is unthinkable for me. Do we know anything about one-gallon
pump-ups, or hand sprayers?

Fish hydrosate was brought up. I know of two sources that are menhaiden-free
(Organic Gardening recently reported that many fish fertilizers are
depleting this important nitrogen-absorbing species.) Emulsions also
typically contain 1% or more chlorine, having been made with large amounts
of tap water. Not too good for the tea!

I like http://www.neptunesharvest.com. They make hydrolized fish, kelp, and
a mix of both - which is what I'm using. It's made from fish waste, not a
dwindling species It does not smell offensive like emulsion does. It's got
a nice NPK ratio on the fish, too: 2-4-1, as opposed to 5-1-1 for Alaska
Fish, as an example.

There's also Drammatic, which is available on various websites, including
http://www.gardengift.com/orfer.html.

One more thing. I went to Ground Up yesterday and got some Tea Base. Bob is
the greatest! His tea brewer design is so elegantly simple - really
brilliant. It's a little hard to find (don't confuse him with the other
compost guy down the street!) but worth it.

Thanks so much for starting this list!

Jenn