compostteas - [Compostteas] Extraction of Fungi

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Extraction of Fungi
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:50:30 +1000

Dan wrote
Hi, I am a grape grower and got interested in CT also for disease
prevention. I am interested in getting better fungal extraction for use as
a soil drench.

In the last batch of CT which was tested by Elaine's Lab I got 18.8 total
fungal biomass and 893 Total bacteria but according to Elaine it was too
bacterial and to reduce the use of molasses. I think it would be a good tea
for suppression of foliage diseases though.
Where did most of my fungi come from? A bag of old forest litter and a
couple of spadefuls out of a pile of broken-down wood chips & soil? From the
mulch hay on my beds? Or from the bag of alfalfa (lucerne)? The litter and
wood chips had strands of mycelium through them so maybe I extracted and
multiplied them. I didn't see any fungi under the hay mulch but there were
lots of springtails. In the soil food web they are supposed to eat fungi so
i deduce from that that there is fungi present in the hay but maybe I'm
wrong about that.

When I want to add more fungi to the soil, I brew up a microbe mixture which
I buy from Nutri-tech Solutions
www.nutri-tech.com.au Go to Products and then Microbial products? The one i
use is 4/20 - a blend of 4 fungi and 20 bacteria. I brew it separately over
two days and add it to the CT just before using it.

Scott

  • [Compostteas] Extraction of Fungi, Scott Alexander, 05/21/2002