community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: AZUR Community recording Studio

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: ONG AZUR D <azurdev AT yahoo.fr>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: AZUR Community recording Studio
  • Date: 09 Oct 2004 03:04:35 -0700

Hi, Sylvie: I have asked Francis to slow down, and not get overloaded
trying to get a computer ready for you.. . . that's a good thing.
Believe me.

Francis is going to work on the computer slowly, and enjoy the
experience, rather than try to approach it as a job. If he becomes
burdened, and it is no longer fun for him, or anyone else helping, then
noone wins. So, we must support and continue to make this a pleasant,
albeit slow project.

Now, for the good news. While Francis is developing the equipment he
has donated, your organization, and Open Studios can explore other
options. If we have multiple efforts to obtain a computer ongoing,
then, as each effort is successful, the computer(s) can be put to good
use. Of course, right?

I would like you to help me learn a little more about where you are
located, and what businesses might have computers that get upgraded from
time to time. We could target one or more companies that might want to
consider donating an older computer that would serve our purposes to get
you started. Once you are up and running, you can then have a good
reason to reach out into the community for support to improve the
equipment you have.

In Kampala, we are hoping to convince a DELL computer reseller to
participate and donate a computer, or, possibly convince one of their
customers to upgrade and donate their old computer. That's just one
idea we're exploring. Hope it brings ideas to you for your studio.

Another option, and this is an interesting one. An event, or campaign
to raise the funds for obtaining a computer is a popular idea to many.
You might want to contact a company with a fund-raising campaign idea to
get their support to go directly to the community to help raise the
money necessary to purchase a computer. If Open Studios offers you an
advantage in approaching the targeted companies, let me know. I'll try
to open the doors to get you in. We can figure out a strategy that
works for you.

I read about a community in Africa some time back, that claimed they
beat the drug problem by installing ten computers, and then requiring
all adolescents to be drug-free in order to use the computers. Since
the community was a close-knit community, everyone could help monitor
and report those who broke the rules.

There are other very compelling reasons to start a community-based
recording studio, and we can go into those as we develop our
discussion. Open Studios waits for your input.

Looking to hear from you.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, Nevada, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:16, ONG AZUR D wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> Hope you're fine.
>
> We just wanted to know if you have some news from Francis about the
> computer and the software.
>
> Do you have already the cost of shipping (by flight) from your town to
> Brazzaville, Congo?
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
> Best regards
> Sylvie Niombo

> Créez gratuitement votre Yahoo! Mail avec 100 Mo de stockage !
> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
>
> Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés
> pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis.Téléchargez GRATUITEMENT ici !

  • [Community_studios] Re: AZUR Community recording Studio, tom poe, 10/09/2004