commons-research - [Commons-research] Quantification analysis of Australian domain web harvests held by the National Library of Australia

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Ben Bildstein" <ben.bildstein AT student.unsw.edu.au>
  • To: commons-research <commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Commons-research] Quantification analysis of Australian domain web harvests held by the National Library of Australia
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 16:30:13 +1000

Hi commons researchers,

The National Library of Australia has been crawling the Australian web (defining the Australian web is of course an issue in itself). I'm going to be running some quantification analysis over at least some of this crawl (actually plural, crawls - there is a 2005 crawl, a 2006 crawl and a 2007 crawl), probably starting with a small part of the crawl and then scaling up.

Possible outcomes from this include:
  • Some meaningful consideration of how many web pages, on average, come about from a single decision to use a licence. For example, if you licence your blog and put a licence statement into your blog template, that would be one decision to use the licence, arguably one licensed work (your blog), but actually 190 web pages (with permalinks and all). I've got a few ideas about how to measure this, which I can go in to more depth about.
  • How much of the Australian web is licensed, both proportionally (one page in X, one web site in X, or one 'document' in X), and in absolute terms (Y web pages, Y web sites, Y 'documents').
  • Comparison of my results to proprietary search-engine based answers to the same question, to put my results in context.
  • Comparison of various licensing mechanisms, including but not limited to: hyperlinks, natural language statements, dc rights in <meta> tags, rdf+xml.
  • Comparison of use of various licences, and licensing elements.
  • Changes in the answers to these questions over time.
This e-mail is to garner other potential outcomes, or hazards I should be careful of, or questions I should keep in mind, or better ways of doing the analysis. I'm not making a specific request for ideas here, but rather wanted to give everyone the opportunity to suggest or set me right or such, and now seems like the time.

Thanks,

Ben.

e: ben.bildstein AT student.unsw.edu.au
b: http://cyberlawcentre.org/hoc