chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] FYI: Free VMWare virtualization + our MUNIs

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Evelyn Daniel <daniel AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Arek Kempinski <akempinski AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] FYI: Free VMWare virtualization + our MUNIs
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:34:43 -0500

thanks for the report, Arek. With MUNIS, perhaps the 'water dropped on stone' is the best approach.

Evelyn

--On Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:55 AM -0500 Arek Kempinski <akempinski AT townofchapelhill.org> wrote:

Well, virtual machine(s) have been around for some time now. We
experimented with Xen (open source variant of virtual machine) for many
different reasons... From the article you quoted "Q: What is VMware
Server? A: VMware Server is a free virtualization product for Windows
and Linux servers. It enables companies to quickly provision new server
capacity by partitioning a physical server into multiple virtual
machines."

So, Virtualization allows hardware abstraction so that any kernel
'thinks' it is talking to hardware, while it is actually conversing via
one of the abstracting software processes. Virtualization allows
multiple instances of operating systems run simultaneously in same
hardware (providing adequate hardware resources: disk/memory-space
exists), but that is all it does. Emulators like 'wine' and win4lin
actually "translate" windows applications calls to the kernel into
something that Linux can process, therefore windows operating system is
not required (unfortunately the free version of wine will not run MUNIS
client, and commercial version is almost $100 per client; win4lin
significantly eclipses that mark). With VMware, one would still need to
install windows in order to run windows application within the virtual
machine (so no savings on windows license, and slight decrement in
performance).

On the other hand, I had more conversations with both MUNIS, and FourJ's.
I have since received, and experimented with MUNIS Macintosh client in
"Sheep Saver" and "Basilisk" (Mac emulators for Linux). So far, both to
no avail, but the error codes appear more verbose and descriptive -
perhaps with more time/lack...

A.

Arkadiusz (Arek) Kempinski
Town of Chapel Hill / IT dept.
405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Chapel Hill, NC. 27514
(o) 919.968.2888 x356
(e) akempinski AT TownOfChapelHill.org
<mailto:akempinski AT TownOfChapelHill.org> (f) 919.969.2017