chtechcomm - [Chtechcomm] FYI: Free VMWare virtualization + our MUNIs

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: chtechboard AT willraymond.org
  • To: Chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chtechcomm] FYI: Free VMWare virtualization + our MUNIs
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:04:07 -0800 (PST)

Hey guys,

The "leader" in O/S virtualization software, VMWare, has released
a free version of their product unencumbered with licensing issues:

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html

What is virtualization and why should we care? Virtualization
allows you to run Windows applications (in fact the whole windows
environment) on top of Linux. The main argument (it seems) in moving
forward with the OSS pilot has been the MUNIS "problem".

Through VMWare's free or low cost next gen solution, we can solve
the MUNIs problem.

I'd like to hear from Bob and company on this development.

Will