cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Ganfyd live with medical variant of Creative Commons Licence

  • From: Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates AT oucs.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: rob AT robmyers.org
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Ganfyd live with medical variant of Creative Commons Licence
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:20:16 +0000

[I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice]

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> It's an interesting idea to limit editing to representatives of a particular
> professional domain. In many ways the GPL does this implicitly for Free
> Software, and the fact that software must run eliminates incompetent
> contributions. I assume there are medical registries you can check to ensure
> that contributors are who they say they are.

GPL software is released that doesn't compile.

Nightly builds and other forms of snapshot frequently don't compile.
This doesn't reflect at all negatively on the competency of those
involved, it's merely a software engineering strategy to ensure that
issues caused by people independently working on the same code are
found and fixed rapidly.

> I would advise you to take the licence down and remove the CC logos.
> It's not a
> CC licence so you cannot identify it as such. You *can* produce a variant
> licence based on the CC licences, but you cannot call it a CC licence, and
> you
> cannot use the CC logo to brand it.

I believe that whether or not you can produce a variant of the
licence depends on the copyright licence under which the licence
text is released.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates AT oucs.ox.ac.uk
OSS Watch http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/