cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Ganfyd live with medical variant of Creative Commons Licence

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Ganfyd live with medical variant of Creative Commons Licence
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:24:15 +0000

It's an interesting idea to limit editing to representatives of a particular
professional domain. In many ways the GPL does this implicitly for Free
Software, and the fact that software must run eliminates incompetent
contributions. I assume there are medical registries you can check to ensure
that contributors are who they say they are.

One thing, though:

I would advise you to take the licence down and remove the CC logos. It's not a
CC licence so you cannot identify it as such. You *can* produce a variant
licence based on the CC licences, but you cannot call it a CC licence, and you
cannot use the CC logo to brand it.

(I am not a lawyer, I am not Creative Commons).

- Rob.

Quoting Dr Adrian Midgley <dr.midgley AT homefieldsurgery.nhs.uk>:

I think I have got this right, and that it is a useful compromise
between a GFDL like The Wikipedia on the one hand, and more usual and
restrictive licences for medical publishing.

I don't see a catch, yet and it might pop a few bubbles in the Web.

http://ganfyd.org
a medical resource freely editable by registered medical practitioners
and freely redistributable for some purposes by anyone.

Adrian Midgley
www.defoam.net