cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Clocks

  • From: "David Hirst" <dhirst AT pavilion.co.uk>
  • To: <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Clocks
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:13:49 +0100

Stuart wrote:

Almost all network-oriented applications face and overcome the problem of radically incorrectly set clocks among some participants.

1/1/1972 is a particularly common date, since it is the start of the unix/linux time representation epoch.

Besides, if you’re doing this sort of thing regularly, you just set up a system that always runs GMT + 15 years and you’re set. You never need put it back to the normal time. If you’re running VMWare or similar you can probably even run one on the same physical hardware as your normal systems with even needed to reboot. [note: I haven’t actually tried this.]

Would this mean that the RIAA and MPAA militias can sue you for having a wrong clock? Clearly the only reason for doing so is to deprive them of income! Unless you can think of a good and legitimate reason for having a wrong clock that would be believed by the Supreme Court – see http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68007,00.html

But I guess one upside is that this might be a useful threat to network administrators facing recalcitrant users!

Cheers

David Hirst

!-!?!-Hirst Solutions Limited

ResponsiveLoad Limited

  • [Cc-uk] Clocks, David Hirst, 06/28/2005