cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Proposed 'CC in the UK' website

  • From: "J. Grant" <jg AT jguk.org>
  • To: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • Cc: Creative Commons UK <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Proposed 'CC in the UK' website
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:16:09 +0100

Hi Cory,

2. More friendly graphics, as with the creativecommons.org site, linking to the CC Flash movies that explain the project, so that a casual visitor is one obvious click away from a simple, singing, dancing explanation.

A small, but important point, those "Flash movies" are in proprietary
formats, I not think we can oblige anyone to signup to Macromedia's
authoritian licence [1]. Why not support a Free equvelent altenative?
Many Free alternatives are available at no-cost as well.

I first discussed CC advocating proprietary Flash replacement of the
web (or open video) back in Aug 2003 (discussed with Mike L, Matt H and
Neeru P.). That section of the CC site still has all those faults:
http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/ Perhaps you'd be the chap to sort
it out finally? At present CC in this respect is rather contradictory,
which is ironic really, considering the ideals purveyed by the CC site.
CC should "practice what it preaches", IMHO ;)

Kind regards
JG

Reference
[1]: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/license/desktop/