cc-south-caucasus - Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] CC Violation by Armenian media outlet

cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons in the South Caucasus

  • From: Movses Hakobyan <movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Onnik Krikorian <onnik AT oneworld.am>
  • Cc: cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] CC Violation by Armenian media outlet
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:01:08 +0400

Dear Onnik,
It's really pity that your copyright is disregarded regularly by Armenian mass media that are supposed to be more law-abiding. However, as a matter of fact, protection of copyright shall be directed by rights holders themselves according to our legislation. I don't know whether you have time and desire to sue smb in the court of law but you could (I think) get assistance  from "Armauthor" NGO that has a huge and successful practice in dealing with such cases. Even if they would not be  in a position to provide legal assistance, I think you can hire a lawyer to rectify and restore your property rights.

Concerning the CC application in Armenia, I shall note that in this case your authorship is evident (as for Law), on the other hand, copyright infringer too. Note that CC is not an alternative to traditional copyright but along with it. It means that there is no obstacles for you to defend your rights in a way provided by national legislation. Moreover, if there would be any ambiguity with exercising CC rights in the court, at this point, it will be beneficial for you because the court will turn to the basics of traditional copyright thus respondent will not be able to refer to freed rights of Copyright (if any) under CC trying to justify such unauthorized use of creative work.
Finally, I am sure that after couple of demonstrative lawsuits especialy successful ones,  such terrible situation will be changed.
I hope that nothing is missed.
All the best

--
Movses Hakobyan
Internews' Center for Information Law and Policy