cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] attribution

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] attribution
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:12:04 +0900

It's great to see that there's CC licenses to allow sampling, and no surprise to see Negativland behind it.

I notice that all the licenses require attribution though - however I think it'd be nice to have a license that allows people to sample without attribution. Certainly I have pieces where if I attributed every sample I used, it'd take longer than actually having put the piece together. Also there I some I've done that I simply couldn't attribute now because I don't know where the samples came from. So I'm thinking it's probably hypocritical to license this stuff requiring Attribution. (In fact, possibly some of it I can't legally license, but nevermind).

I found it somewhat hypocritical when I saw the Beastie Boys had put their track on the Wired CD ( http://creativecommons.org/wired/ ) under the Noncommercial Sampling Plus license. Didn't they make their money and name commercially sampling stuff without attribution?

--
postmoderncore website (w/ mp3s & art)
http://postmoderncore.com/