cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] Nine Inch Nails track opens need for modified "sampling" license

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: "g. thomas furgerson" <gthomasdirect AT mac.com>
  • Cc: id AT scratch.com, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] Nine Inch Nails track opens need for modified "sampling" license
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:43:39 -0700

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 11:39 -0700, g. thomas furgerson wrote:
> Creative Commons,
>
> A new development arose just the other day with the release of Trent
> Reznor's (Nine Inch Nails) GarageBand mix of Nine Inch Nails' "Hand
> That Feeds" project.

Whoa, this is brilliant to release all the mother formats for tracks. It
is interesting to think that what we hear on a final CD/mp3 is a
compressed version that is a composite of so many different layers and
snippets. If all these pieces were made available with media, I think
that the public would be able to learn various artistic practices easier
with this demystification.

> I don't know if this has been addressed or proposed, but a modified
> "Sampling" license may be in order.
>
> The sampling license needs to let "listeners" explicitly understand how
> samples and loops in their project mixes (not just the final piece, but
> the pieces) may be used in and outside the project from which they're
> enclosed. This is different from "sampling" just a song, or part of a
> song. The project has midi and live performances, Apple and ACID loops
> and "one shot" samples. Each element can can be accessed individually
> from a project. And rather than having to put a license on each
> "piece" of the puzzle, it would be much easier to have a blanket
> license over all the pieces. (Read the restrictive license that's
> presented when opening the NIN project file.)

Totally agree.

> This will become much more necessary in the future, as more artists
> embrace fans "remixing" and "reusing" their creative ideas by providing
> their tracks as GarageBand mixes, especially as more users jump into
> using iLife. (Not to mention the Karaoke type uses when you can drop
> the lead vocals out.)

But, at the same time, do current creative commons licenses not support
this? And, is there a need? Would the master files ("mother format")
that are used to compose a derivative, (usually called the original), be
considered the originals? Or, are these original mother formats the
original files? Maybe this does not matter, and it is what work you
designate with a license?

> Just some thoughts. ( I envisioned this years ago when ReBirth and
> then Reason came out, but that was before Creative Commons.)
>
> Creative Commons should also approach Apple about putting an easy
> "button" into iLife apps and other creative apps to add a Creative
> Commons and Copyright license tags directly into a project, document,
> song file or webpage.
>
> Okay, I'll send the suggestion to Apple myself, but I think the
> organization or Mr. Lessig would open more ears (Jobs) to the idea.

Yes, this is a great idea. We are implementing a PUBLISH button in our
next release of Inkscape (www.inkscape.org), an Open Source SVG drawing
tool, that does what you speak.

Also, our tool already allows people to quickly select a creative
commons (among others) license and embed it into files edited with
Inkscape.

--
Jon Phillips

USA PH 510.499.0894