cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Nine Inch Nails track opens need for modified "sampling" license

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "g. thomas furgerson" <gthomasdirect AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: id AT scratch.com
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Nine Inch Nails track opens need for modified "sampling" license
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:39:42 -0700

Creative Commons,

A new development arose just the other day with the release of Trent Reznor's (Nine Inch Nails) GarageBand mix of Nine Inch Nails' "Hand That Feeds" project.

I don't know if this has been addressed or proposed, but a modified "Sampling" license may be in order.

The sampling license needs to let "listeners" explicitly understand how samples and loops in their project mixes (not just the final piece, but the pieces) may be used in and outside the project from which they're enclosed. This is different from "sampling" just a song, or part of a song. The project has midi and live performances, Apple and ACID loops and "one shot" samples. Each element can can be accessed individually from a project. And rather than having to put a license on each "piece" of the puzzle, it would be much easier to have a blanket license over all the pieces. (Read the restrictive license that's presented when opening the NIN project file.)

This will become much more necessary in the future, as more artists embrace fans "remixing" and "reusing" their creative ideas by providing their tracks as GarageBand mixes, especially as more users jump into using iLife. (Not to mention the Karaoke type uses when you can drop the lead vocals out.)

Just some thoughts. ( I envisioned this years ago when ReBirth and then Reason came out, but that was before Creative Commons.)

Creative Commons should also approach Apple about putting an easy "button" into iLife apps and other creative apps to add a Creative Commons and Copyright license tags directly into a project, document, song file or webpage.

Okay, I'll send the suggestion to Apple myself, but I think the organization or Mr. Lessig would open more ears (Jobs) to the idea.

Peace
gthomas

g. thomas furgerson
330 n. screenland drive #139