cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] name-change broo ha ha

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Joshua Csehak <jcsehak AT rootrecords.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] name-change broo ha ha
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:09:35 -0400

>If it pisses you off, don't use the license! go make your own!

There's a lot of value in everyone using the same license (or rather, everyone picking from the same set of licenses). Not the least of which is everyone involved benefiting from the advertising efforts of CC (and CC benefiting from the free advertising from people using their license). The greatest of which probably being the cultural recognition gained when something stops becoming something a few people do and starts becoming a movement.

> And for the grand finale, Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil will
> officially release a few of his songs under the License Formerly
> Known as Sampling, which, from this moment forward, will be called
> Recombo, a name inspired by the Brazilian art collective re:combo.

Ah, so it makes sense in Brazil. Too bad this is America ;) <-- note winky-smiley face

Seriously, I'd feel like a tool using a license that implies endorsement of some group I know nothing about. Not to mention that the name doesn't describe what the license does, which is ostensibly the whole point of a name.

My whole investment in the thing was that I was hoping for sort of a cross between the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike and the Attribution-ShareAlike licenses, where using my work for commercial purposes was fine (like say in a film), as long as the commercial purpose wasn't advertising. But I'm happy with using the At-NC-SA license and writing out free "permission slips" to anyone wanting to use it for films and the like. Looking at it now, I'm glad the no-advertising clause found its way in there. I really think it'll be more useful to more people this way.

Yes, the new name is weird, and will only confuse people. But as a whole the sampling license is perfect for people who want to keep tight control over their work but think there's nothing wrong with sampling -- I have to commend you guys on filling the niche perfectly.

Joshua Csehak
www.c-hack.com
www.rootrecords.org

  • [cc-sampling] name-change broo ha ha, Joshua Csehak, 08/04/2004