cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] re: name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] re: name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:07:16 -0700

At 3:42 AM -0400 9/13/03, Cory Doctorow wrote:
Re-Create is far too cute, IMO.

I used to be a nursery school teacher , so I like cute.

Sampling and Remixing

"Re-mixing" is misleading and should not be used......it is commonly understood to mean being hired(often by a record label, not an artist) to take elements of someone else's musical track and re-mix it into something new. So it doesn't apply here very well at all.

are both commonly understood verbs that describe what the license *does*.

"Sampling" is okay, though I think "re-create" suggests something a bit more open to whatever the future may hold for this way of working, and sounds more artful to me.It also suggests multiple mediums, whereas "sampling" is commonly understood to mean only working with sound.

Perhaps someone else has another idea to suggest?

mark

I think that CC licenses are already saddled with a lot of disucssion (what's a CC license? why should I use one? etc) -- adding more by dint of a name that uses unfamiliar terms (moreover, a term that's a near-hominym and a spell-alike cognate for a completely different, unrelated verb) is just adding baggage where it can be least afforded.