cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] re: name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] re: name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:42:04 -0400

Re-Create is far too cute, IMO.

Sampling and Remixing are both commonly understood verbs that describe what the license *does*. I think that CC licenses are already saddled with a lot of disucssion (what's a CC license? why should I use one? etc) -- adding more by dint of a name that uses unfamiliar terms (moreover, a term that's a near-hominym and a spell-alike cognate for a completely different, unrelated verb) is just adding baggage where it can be least afforded.