cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] a question about music specifically

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] a question about music specifically
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:25:37 -0800

Here's one for you musicians and music lawyers on the list . . .

There typically two sets of rights in a given song: the rights to the
musicial composition and the rights to the sound recording. In order to
offer a song under the Creative Commons sampling license, as written,
would a musician need to own both set these sets of rights? What's the
relationship between the composition rights and the recording rights when
it comes to sampling?

Example:

I record a cover version of "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, and I
try to offer my recording under the CC sampling license, so that the
world will be free to use my version of the song's great intro riff. Is
this possible without the Stones' (or their publishers') permission? If
not, does language to this effect need to be built into the license?

Thanks,

Glenn
Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn AT creativecommons.org
+1.650.723.7572 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)

  • [cc-sampling] a question about music specifically, Glenn Otis Brown, 05/30/2003