cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] highlights from week 1

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] highlights from week 1
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:55:09 -0800

Here's the highlight reel from the first week of the Sampling License
discussion (numbers in brackets correspond to links to the actual posts
-- below):

Sarah Brown raised concerns that the draft language wasn't clear enough
about the copyrightability of sample-derived works [1] and what other
rights the sampler enjoys [2] in them. She suggested we address these
issues more explicitly.

Cathy Kirkman, however, explained why the license itself need not spell
these points out [3], and that a thorough FAQ entry or Commons Deed
provision was a better place for the explanation.

Chris Kelty and Negativland debated the sampling license's proposed
"anti-advertising" clause. Kelty reasoned that there may be ways to
achieve the same end without using anti-advertising language (e.g. a
strong attribution clause) [4], and expressed other worries about the
provision [5]. Negativland stood by the clause [6].

Finally, I submitted three humble requests to the list participants.
[7,8,9]

To sum up: No changes to the lawyer-readable language [10] so far, though
we should be clearer in our human-readable version of the license (e.g.,
FAQ, license summary) about what rights the sampler enjoys in the new,
sample-derived work.

Thanks for a lively first week, everyone. Invite more friends to join
next time around. We've got about three weeks left until redraft.

Glenn

[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000008.html
[2] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000007.html
[3] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000023.html
[4] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000025.html
[5] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000027.html
[6] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000026.html
[7] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000031.html
[8] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000032.html
[9] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000033.html
[10] http://creativecommons.org/projects/cc-sampling
Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn AT creativecommons.org
+1.650.723.7572 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)

  • [cc-sampling] highlights from week 1, Glenn Otis Brown, 05/30/2003