cc-metadata - Re: resource is an academic paper

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Andy Powell <a.powell AT ukoln.ac.uk>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: resource is an academic paper
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:16:30 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)

I'd use dc:type with different vocabulary. Our guidelines for using DC to describe eprints

Using simple Dublin Core to describe eprints
http://www.rdn.ac.uk/projects/eprints-uk/docs/simpledc-guidelines/

suggests the following vocab

* Book
* BookChapter
* ConferenceProceedings
* ConferencePaper
* ConferencePoster
* InCollection
* TechnicalReport
* OnlineJournalArticle
* JournalArticle
* NewsArticle
* Other
* Preprint
* Thesis

Dunno if that helps?

Andy.

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

Evan Prodromou wrote:
What about using the DCMI Audience element? Type=Text, Audience=Academic would indicate that this is a text work primarily for academics.

That seems reasonable.

Other possibilities:

* dc:type (wouldn't conflict with present use, value would just be from a different vocabulary)

* dc:subject

* dcterms:educationLevel (probably not)

For any of the above, can anyone recommend a vocabulary to use that includes something like "Academic" (for audience) or "Scholarly Publication" for the others?

PRISM defines a list of
http://prismstandard.org/vocabularies/1.2/resourcetype.xml which includes "article", intended to be used with dc:type, but that could be any sort of article. It also includes "journal" but that isn't quite right.

PRISM also defines http://prismstandard.org/vocabularies/1.2/category.xml (intellectual genre) which they recommend for prism:category but we could use with dc:subject or dc:type I suppose, but that list doesn't contain anything like "scholarly article".

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21