cc-metadata - Re: rel="license"

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: rel="license"
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:43:16 -0800

Kevin Marks wrote:
http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/RelLicense

comments and improvements welcome.

I don't have any comments on the spec yet, but a few on points raised in this thread:

- Why not <link rel=...>?

One may use <link>. <a rel=...> has advantages for the masses:
* Can be added to content even when publisher doesn't control rendering of entire page
* Can be added to content without thinking (particularly in the case of http://creativecommons.org/license/ -- we don't want to tell people to a) paste some HTML into your page and then b) add this <link> in the <head> of your document (joe user's response: what the hell is that!?)
* Rendering may be altered by CSS selectors

- Doesn't RDF-in-HTML cover this?

Yes, but many people consider embedding RDF/XML in HTML comments hideously ugly. http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/rdf-a.html may prove to be a solution. I think RDF interoperability is important, and can be provided via an XMDP http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/ transform.

Here's a project: add 'transformation' to the XMDP spec, write sample XMDP-to-RDF transformations for RelLicense, others. Something like

<dt id="transformation">http://example.com/RelLicense2RDF.xsl</a>
<dd>Extracts RDF statements from document containing rel="license"</dd>

- Namespace conflicts with multiple profiles

Yuck. Worse is better. Profile centralization as partial solution?

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21