cc-metadata - Re: rel="license"

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Firas D." <fd AT firasd.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: rel="license"
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:36:25 -0500

Lucas Gonze wrote:

Thinking in a blue sky mode, my preference would be for the 'license' tag to be a URN. EG:

This manages to sit on the line in between the lower case semantic web and the upper case Semantic Web. I realize that it's a non-standard approach, but I think this approach is likely to become very common because of the benefits:

* no need to negotiate over bits of text like 'license'

* self-documenting -- a developer can learn about a rel value by going to the URN.

* can automatically check for typos by attempting to dereference the URN.

- Lucas

The bulleted concerns are addressed by the act of formalizing the spec into an XMDP profile--for example,

The exact meaning, documentation etc of the rel value is derived from the profiles referenced in the <html> element.