cc-metadata - Re: Creative Commons vs. Dublin Core

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons vs. Dublin Core
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:10:45 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
OK, well, that's fair. But realistically, a generator would have to
make two different files for the two different kinds of metadata.

Not really. Using cc:Work instead of rdf:Description just creates an extra triple, stating that the subject is of type cc:Work. An application could ignore that typing info if it wanted to. Same with cc:License. cc:license is a bit more of a problem, as a DC-but-not-CC-aware app would need to be rdfs-aware to make sense of it.

ML> Another difference/addition is that of cc:license. Presumably
ML> CC could've used dc:rights rather than subclassing it.

I hadn't realized that it was a subclass of dc:rights. Actually, as
best I can tell from looking at the schema, it's not. Might be a good
update?

I misspoke, it is actually a subproperty --

<rdf:Property rdf:about="http://web.resource.org/cc/license";>
<dc:title>has license</dc:title>
<rdfs:domain rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Work"/>
<rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/License"/>
<rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/doc#ipr"/>
<rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/rights"/>
</rdf:Property>

ML> cc:Agent is another addition, and one I'm not satisfied with,
ML> which is why I've mentioned adopting foaf:Agent in the past

I like FOAF, but I think the DC best practices for dc:creator,
dc:contributor and dc:publisher are really sufficient. That is,
either containing a string for the name:

<dc:creator>Evan Prodromou</dc:creator>

...or an URL of a page/resource/whatever that identifies and defines
that person:

<dc:creator
rdf:resource="http://www.wikitravel.org/en/article/User:Evan"; />

You may be right. I think the case for making dc:creator and its ilk an Agent (cc:Agent, foaf:Agent, or whatever DC Agents comes up with) is that one may want to add creator metadata inline.