cc-metadata - Re: Creative Commons vs. Dublin Core

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons vs. Dublin Core
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:57:36 -0500

ML> Ok, I was trying to be sneaky by implying that since they both
ML> use RDF/XML, they use same format.

OK, well, that's fair. But realistically, a generator would have to
make two different files for the two different kinds of metadata.

ML> Another difference/addition is that of cc:license. Presumably
ML> CC could've used dc:rights rather than subclassing it.

I hadn't realized that it was a subclass of dc:rights. Actually, as
best I can tell from looking at the schema, it's not. Might be a good
update?

ML> cc:Agent is another addition, and one I'm not satisfied with,
ML> which is why I've mentioned adopting foaf:Agent in the past

I like FOAF, but I think the DC best practices for dc:creator,
dc:contributor and dc:publisher are really sufficient. That is,
either containing a string for the name:

<dc:creator>Evan Prodromou</dc:creator>

...or an URL of a page/resource/whatever that identifies and defines
that person:

<dc:creator
rdf:resource="http://www.wikitravel.org/en/article/User:Evan"; />

ML> I welcome commentary on any of the above, though of course
ML> widely deployed stuff is much less likely to change.

Agreed... but there's always a 2.0. B-)

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>