cc-metadata - Sampling + BY-NC-SA-2.0 = ?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Keith Coleman <keith AT cs.stanford.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org, cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jcn AT cs.stanford.edu
  • Subject: Sampling + BY-NC-SA-2.0 = ?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:06:36 -0800

I've been reviewing the new 2.0 licenses (for inclusion a Stanford CS research project) and have noticed some odd interactions between licenses. For example:

Let's say I combine a worked issued under a Sampling license with a work issued under a BY-NC-SA v2 license. Sampling permits Sharing but does not permit Distribution, a condition which is MORE restrictive than BY-NC-SA's permission of NonCommercial Distribution but LESS restrictive than BY-NC-SA's permission of only NonCommercial Derivatives. (The matter is additionally complicated by the unidimensiality of the CC metadata, wherein every clause or no clause is affected by things like "requires noncommercial.")

So under which license must I issue my derivative work?

Option 1: BY-NC-SA
But this violoates BY-NC-SA's use-the-most-restrictive clause regarding combined works.

Option 2: Sampling
But this violoates BY-NC-SA's use-the-most-restrictive clause regarding combined works.

Option 3: Some new mutant license
But this could get confusing from a marketing/biz perspective.

What do you recommend in this case?

Keith

Keith Coleman
Graduate Student