cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] ShareAlike compatibility process and criteria: your comments wanted

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike compatibility process and criteria: your comments wanted
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:19:51 -0700

Greetings!

We are now opening the discussion for our compatibility process and
criteria for the ShareAlike licenses. As you may recall from the 4.0
drafting process (see
<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Compatibility>), 4.0 includes a
compatibility mechanism that allows for other licenses to be
compatible with the ShareAlike licenses--but no other licenses have
been approved as compatible yet. Instead, we want the community to
help us develop the criteria and process before formally evaluating
licenses as candidates for compatibility. To that end, we now have a
draft posted for feedback.

We want this to be a process that the CC community trusts--and so this
is a first draft, not a final document. Please comment on the process
and suggest changes to it. We also welcome pointers to best practices
from other organizations, as well as practices it would be best to
avoid.

You can read it on the wiki here:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/ShareAlike_compatibility_process_and_criteria

There are also a few open questions on specific points that we'd like
to consider, which we'll send out in separate emails to give them
their own threads.

This discussion will be open until May 28. Thanks, and we look forward
to your thoughtful comments.

-Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons