cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] reinstatement w/o too much value?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jonathon <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] reinstatement w/o too much value?
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 16:48:31 +0000

On 11/09/2013 01:28 AM, Diane Peters wrote:

> I suppose in theory it's conceivable that a licensee was never in
> compliance before they were in violation, but I have a hard time imaging
> that situation.

There are two fairly popular websites whose routine practice is to
automatically re-license CC licensed content to Public Domain, without
the knowledge, consent, or authorization of the legal and legitimate
copyright holder. (They also re-licensed some ARR content to Public
Domain without the knowledge, consent, or authorization of the legal and
legitimate copyright holder.)

These are not P2P sites like The Pirate Bay, but sites that claim to
adhere to copyright law. Unfortunately, the DMCA protects their business
practice of re-licensing content, to suit their business "needs".

jonathon