cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Minor wording change in NonCommercial definition

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Minor wording change in NonCommercial definition
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:12:44 -0700

As we previously decided, we will not be changing the definition or
the name of NonCommercial in 4.0; the discussion is summarized at
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/NonCommercial. However, there is a
small change to the wording of the definition in Draft 3 that we want
to point out.

The definition now reads “not primarily intended for or directed
towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation" instead of “not
primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or
private monetary compensation": the word "private" has been removed.

This is not intended to be a change in the substance of the
definition. It was pointed out to us that "private" was redundant and
possibly confusing there, so we've removed it. This should not change
the way NC functions--however, if you think this does result in a
substantive change to the NC definition, please let us know!

Thanks,
Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons
IM/IRC/@/etc: mindspillage * phone: please email first

  • [cc-licenses] Minor wording change in NonCommercial definition, Kat Walsh, 03/18/2013