cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Some minor drafting nitpicks

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Some minor drafting nitpicks
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 23:08:30 -0800

I assigned an intern in my office to read d3 this week, and
(unprompted) she said "4.0 is so much easier to read and understand
than 3.0!" So kudos on a significantly improved license from a
drafting/clarity/comprehensibility perspective!

That said, allow me to offer some (hopefully final) nitpicks to make
the final product as good as can be.

[All section #s are from BY-SA draft 3.]

- To be consistent with 3(a)(1), 5(b), and 6(c), 2(a) should probably
use : and ;.

- I would suggest using 1.1, 1.1.1, etc. as a numbering scheme instead
of the traditional but awkward 3(a)(1)(A) scheme. Typography for
Lawyers discusses some of the downsides of the traditional manner on
p. 106-107, but admittedly that is not the strongest section of that
book.

- Sec. 5(b): Should all rights granted under Sec. 2(a) be reinstated,
not just the right to use?

- Sec. 5(d): If the license terminates, doesn't Sec. 3 still remain in
force for any Sharing done by the violator? i.e., you can't get out of
those obligations simply by violating the license.

[Also, if that is true, then it might clarify 5(a) to say "the rights
granted to You under Sec. 2 of this Public License are terminated
automatically" rather than the more legalistic "Public license
terminates automatically as to You".]

Thanks!
Luis

  • [cc-licenses] Some minor drafting nitpicks, Luis Villa, 03/08/2013