cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Changes to attribution: your attention wanted

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Changes to attribution: your attention wanted
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:16:19 -0400

On Friday 05 October 2012 11:55:28 jonathon wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 01:25 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> > Surely all copyrighted works do not have titles so do you mean that we
> > must
>
> include the title where the work has a title?
>
> A title is required, when registering copyright in the United States.
>
> I'll grant that there are genres in which the title of the work is not
> generally known. (TV Commercials are probably the best known example.)

Emails, forum comments, photographs. Lots of things have no title. I would
wager (and I am not a betting man) that there are more copyrighted works that
are not registered than there are works that are registered. This is a major
pain, but this is where we find ourselves at this time.

So, surely the requirement can only be to require the title where it is
known/exists?