cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Changes to attribution: your attention wanted

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Changes to attribution: your attention wanted
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:20:54 -0400

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org> wrote:
> I'd add that in practice these requirements are completely ignored in
> the wild in the software world, even when they are very mild. e.g.,
> Apache and GPL only require notice that the material has been changed,
> rather than any information about the nature of the change, and yet
> that is only rarely complied with.

Again it's the distinction between people implicitly or explicitly
collaborating on a work vs. an outsider or outsiders taking and
forking the result of such a collaboration. In the former case we
really are talking about implicit or explicit licenses which go beyond
CC. In the latter case it is reasonable to insist that the license be
followed precisely.

This is not something that CC absolutely has to solve. It can, and in
my opinion generally should, be solved by the maintainer of the
project, by making those implicit agreements explicit.