cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:17:07 -0400

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 27 August 2012 19:40, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
>> I think the license should automatically terminate on violation.
>> I think the license should have a procedure that, if followed, will
>> automatically result in the grant of a new license on the same conditions.
>
> 1. I fully second that, I believe this is a balanced solution and in
> the spirit of the open content movement.
>
> 2. This is quite different from a grace period during which a
> violation would be tolerated until the license terminates (which is my
> understanding of Anthony's proposal and Diane's proposed path of
> discussion). I concur with Mathias Schindler that this is an
> unnecessary complication.

FWIW, my proposal is exactly as described above. Automatic
termination, and a procedure to reinstate the license if all
violations cease.

In terms of specifics, I think GPLv3, section 8, is fine. Obviously
we can't just plagiarize it from them, but whatever needs to be done
to accomplish the same thing would be great.

There should not be a grace period. There is no grace period in GPLv3.

> 3. While I concur with Drew that a healed violation should not be
> prosecuted, I believe this should be a moral question, not a legal
> one. While I think the license should expressedly mention
> reinstatement, it should be silent on this.

I agree with this as well.