cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:40:22 -0400

On Monday 27 August 2012 13:18:42 Diane Peters wrote:
> I agree that there could be any number of things that affect it, but I'm
> simply stating the default, and emphasized that term in the reply below.
>
> I could imagine any number of ways that a licensee could argue the license
> doesn't automatically terminate, perhaps conduct by licensor or otherwise.
> Probably myriad ways depending on jurisdiction. There's no way to preclude
> all of that, nor would we want to. I'm simply stating that as steward,
> we've designed the default operation of the license as such: as conditional
> permission to use the work, and when those conditions are violated the
> permission goes away.
>
> Eager to hear what others think on the merits of having a cure/provisional
> reinstatement period inserted, as this is an important policy decision for
> this d2-d3 period.

Diane,

Speaking only for BY-SA here as other licenses may have different "needs".

I think the license should automatically terminate on violation.
I think the license should have a procedure that, if followed, will
automatically result in the grant of a new license on the same conditions.
I think that if a good faith effort was made to follow the license and the
spirit of Free and copyleft, then there should be no penalties due for the
period of unlicensed use. (Time from violation to reinstatement.) *
I think that if instead the violation was as a result of trying to game the
system or restrict freedom then penalties should be possible for the
violation period, even statutory damages.

I think that to facilitate some of this, it would be good to write a spirit
preamble for BY-SA.

* with the exception of reasonable cost recovery for the costs of
enforcement,
fix.