cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:14:03 -0700

Thanks for weighing in, Christopher. Here are a few considerations for us to think about as we decide on various categories of rights --

1) Every right we include in the license grant creates the possibility that someone holding those rights may apply the license, even if that same rights holder does not own the copyright. This raises a number of challenges.
- CC licenses were built as copyright licenses, so the license may not be the right fit if applied only to rights other than copyright. If the scope of the additional right being licensed varies significantly from the scope of copyright, it would be very confusing for someone holding only that additional right to apply a CC license. (For example, if that additional right does not allow adaptations of the work, we would have to somehow ensure that those rights holders only applied the ND licenses.) For this reason (among others), we need to thoroughly understand the scope of any additional rights we include in the license grant.

2) As a general matter, we likely only want to include rights likely to be held by the copyright owner. If not, we greatly increase the risk of the scenario I described above, which increases the complexity of the licenses considerably. (Otherwise, how would licensees know what permission they are getting when they use a CC license?) That means a baseline question for any new right is likely: Is the right likely to be held by the copyright owner?

3) Even where the copyright owner holds additional rights, we still must keep in mind that the license was designed as a copyright license. Because some other areas of law have extremely different rights and subject matter, we will want to think very carefully about the implications of adding any significantly different types of rights (such as patent or trademark).

4) Where it does not make sense for us to include a particular category of rights in the license grant, a waiver is another option. This approach avoids the scenario above where someone holding only rights other than copyright applies a CC license. But it would have the benefit of neutralizing rights owned by the copyright holder that might interfere with the copyright license. Of course, CC's experience with the database rights waiver should lead us to approach this option with caution as well.

5) Where we do not include additional rights in the license or waiver, those rights may prevent licensees from exercising the rights granted by CC licenses. This is an obvious point, but one worth making because it is the reason we are considering the issue at all.

Curious if others have additional considerations to add to the discussion.

best,
Sarah