cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:19:33 -0500

On Friday 27 January 2012 16:27:58 Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:56:13 +0000 Rob Myers wrote:

> > > That fact that DRM is unacceptable should encourage to introduce
> > > non-free restrictions to fight against it.
> >
> > We haven't established that prohibiting DRM is nonfree.
>
> I am convinced that some (excessive) forms of prohibition of DRM are
> non-free restrictions.

Can you give some examples of what you consider to be non-excessive and
excessive prohibitions?

> I think that there are indeed ways to fight against DRM without
> introducing non-free restrictions. But forbidding all kinds of
> distribution of DRM-encumbered copies is a non-free restriction, IMHO.
>
> I think that allowing the distribution of DRM-encumbered with the
> parallel distribution of an unencumbered copy adequately fights against
> DRM and protects the recipients' freedom.

Not necessarily for that recipient who only has the box that is "DRM locked"
surely. Or please explain.

Can the solution be to allow small scale DRM locked with parallel
distribution
for human beings while disallowing large scale DRM locked with parallel
distribution for human beings and all DRM locked distribution by
corporations? (I think parts of me hate making this distinction.)