cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf AT gwolf.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:02:26 -0600

drew Roberts dijo [Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:39:54PM -0500]:
> > That event could be anything clearly verifiable from the
> > outside (such as the author's death, but not as somebody else
> > mentioned on the list, the author receiving a given amount of money).
>
> Why not a certain amount of money? Surely something like a kickstarter
> project
> would allow for easy verification.

Because it is not verifiable from the outside.

I can clearly tell you if year 2015 has already arrived. I can also
look up and check whether an author is still alive. But I cannot
(independently) verify whether the author did collect $5000 in
royalties unless he explicitly publishes it. So, it'd end up being
something completely based on trust (will he deliver on his promise?)
and availability (does the author have a stable Internet presence
where he can announce, maybe 15 years from now, that his work is now
free?)