cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>, Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:33:14 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2012, 10:02:47 schrieben Sie:
> > Do recipients of non-program works deserve fewer freedoms?
>
> In my mind, they do not deserve fewer freedoms. But in the mind of the
> folks behind the GPL, they do deserve fewer freedoms. (To use that
> terminology.)

I think that misses the point of the GPL.

They want to ensure that people can actually exercise their freedoms and that
noone can take them away.

And that the GPLv2 survived for some 15 years before needing changes says a
lot about their foresight.

The measures they use for code can create some problems for non-code, though,
so having the option to use cc by-sa works in combined works under GPL when
adhering to the requirements of the GPL, but keeping cc by-sa as license, so
people can decide to use the works under cc by-sa when they don’t need
integration with GPL works would be optimal for me.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Konstruktive Kritik: