cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:20:03 +0100

Mike Linksvayer's hinted on the reluctance to introduce new CC
licenses. The primary argument is, however, license compatibility, so
I wonder to which extent this applies to time-limited licences. This
may have been discussed before, but I would like to raise it
nevertheless, even if only to refresh arguments.

I see (and have published on, see
http://dx.doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.150.2189 ) the problems of the NC
license. The problems are not just philosophical, they are a lot about
legal risks and potential consequences.

However, I do see the need for licenses with "intermediate protection".

My personal preference would be to make the the NC license even more
strict, thus clarifying the current disadvantages ambiguity (many
licensors are willing to give generously, but licensees are unable to
take it, risk management requires them to choose the most conservative
interpretation), but counter that by making it ONLY available in time
limited versions, like:

NC2013
NC2020
NC2025

where the number indicates the year in which the NC license will be
voided, reverting the licences to one without the NC clause.

In addition, the license text might specify that the maximum duration
of an NC license is 25 years, even if a later years has been
accidentially named. This probably needs legal scrutiny as to its
validity though.