cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC licenses version 4.0: some thoughts on noncommercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC licenses version 4.0: some thoughts on noncommercial
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:32:15 -0800

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Maciej Pendolski
<beholder0x100 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> My personal preference is for CC-BY-NC-SA in which NC would apply only
> to tangible media. So printed books, music CDs, film DVDs, ... could
> be only sold by or on behalf of a creator while "virtual" versions of
> those (e-books, mp3 files, ...) would be handled pretty much like they
> were licenced under CC-BY-SA. I have no idea if this could be
> implemented.

Special accounting for tangible media is a bit of a throwback to
pre-CC licenses, in particular the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Publication_License and to a far
lesser extent the FDL. I can't see how it would've become even more
relevant over the past decade. :)

I'm also pasting one email in the moderation queue that arrived as I
was sending previous post which concerns general [de]merits of NC. I'd
encourage followups to cc-community unless they address 4.0
specifically...