cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Public Domain Mark - Invitation to Comment

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Douglas Campbell" <Douglas.Campbell AT natlib.govt.nz>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Public Domain Mark - Invitation to Comment
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:57:33 +1200

Thanks for clarifying that Diane.

I think the main previous comment of mine that still applies is a
preference to change the human-readable version to read from the user's
point of view. I just discovered that the PDM page does in fact say
"You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for
commercial purposes, all without asking permission first" but it is
hidden in a pop-up window.

I realise the voice used in this statement is consistent with the CC0
statement, but they are both inconsistent with the six commonly-used
licences. Part of the beauty and power of those licences comes from an
end-user being able to read and understand what it allows them to do.
The CC0 and PDM don't offer that. When I read the CC0 it feels like a
dead-end - it requires me to interpret what it means, I'm at a loss to
know - I still feel like I would need to get legal advice before using
the work.

At the least, can we please expose the "You can..." statement on the
PDM page so it is always visible?

In New Zealand, the government has recently released NZGOAL (New
Zealand Government Open Access and Licencing framework)
http://www.e.govt.nz/policy/nzgoal
It basically recommends using CC licences (with some modifications).

It has included a no-known-copyright statement to be used in the
interim (it intends to move to this PDM when it is available). The
words it currently recommends (in paragraph 150):
------------
To the best of [name of agency]’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
* there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this
[identify material in question] in New Zealand; and
* it may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without
copyright or other intellectual property right related restriction.
[[Name of agency] will not be liable to you, on any legal basis
(including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your
use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow
us to exclude or limit our liability to you.]
Do you think the proposed PDM will provide the same coverage?

Thanx,
Douglas