cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CCZero already being used?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CCZero already being used?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:38:57 -0800

On 2/15/08, Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com> wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2008, at 16:40, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> > This is still in development and I'm not encouraging deployment at
> > this point, at least not without knowledge that it will change and
> > deployers will need to do whatever work will be necessary to migrate
> > to the fully released tools when the tools are ready. As indicated by
> > the bug, Public.Resource.Org is aware of this.
>
> Sure -- I read it -- but I was just curious given this comment on
> Lessig's blog:
>
> "This is just the first step in this joint venture that CC and
> public.resource.org have launched. Stay tuned for more public acts of
> manumission, soon. Thanks especially to Carl for making this happen,
> and the generous support of the funders for making this happen in a
> different sense."
> <http://lessig.org/blog/2008/02/big_news_in_the_free_law_depar.html>
>
> This appears that CC was intimately involved in the project. Given
> that there is another existing non-beta option -- the current public
> domain dedication:
>
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/>
>
> I was wondering about the status.

The overall status is as I described above. In retrospect I should've
recommended using the existing PD URL above as the "license" link with
the CC0 metadata, and perhaps the CC0 chooser on
labs.creativecommons.org should offer that as an "do you want to use
this right now?" option.

Regarding Public.Resource.Org and CC, the emphasis above should
probably be on "first step". They've been working on this for a long
time and should get all of the credit, with all of the blame for beta
URLs going to CC. :)

Thanks,
Mike