cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:05:21 +0000

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> [...]there's a limit on how strong a strong copyleft
> will be enforceable. I'd guess that sometime before that point, the
> stronger copyleft actually becomes counterproductive because it deters
> too many people from using it at all.

Absolutely. What happens if an entire TV channel has to be SA just to show a single SA music video? How strong is too strong?

drew Roberts wrote:

Bingo. Just because the SA has been tied to derivatives in the past does not mean this is the only possibility.

NC is tied to an NC context whether derivatives are involved or not for example.

- Rob.