cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Requirements for a strong copyleft license
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:37:51 -0500

On Sunday 02 December 2007 11:29:36 Rob Myers wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > a "copyright arising" concept.
>
> The CC licenses are currently strongly tied to this concept. A "strong
> copyleft" would replace it with a concept of "use".

Nope. At least I am fairly certain you have not understood me properly. It
could easily be to my not stating things properly though.

Now, perhaps we need to go further than I imagine and into the realm you
bring
up, but I am not thinking along those lines yet.

If you put a bunch of my BY-SA works on a storage medium in such a way that
there is no copyright other than the individual copyrights on the works on
the medium, then according to the terminology I have been trying to use, no
copyright arises. The person putting the works on the medium isn't claiming
one, and furthermore, the law will not give them one automatically.

But, if there is some new copyright that comes from putting the works
together
in a certain way, then the terms of the strong copyleft license kicks in.

Is that any clearer?

So, if a copyright arises, a stronger copyleft would at least require a Free
license on the new copyright and that license would need to be compatible
with the "embedded" copyleft license and all other "embedded" works would
also need (?) to be under compatible Free licenses.

Gavin Baker is thinking along the same lines I am from what I can tell:

"(FWIW, although CC licenses have previously been passed to downstream
users through the right of modification, I think it is worth considering
tying this to some different right."

We could of course decide to go for it even where no copyright*** arises
but...

*** or related right - we would want to cover those from what I have been
learning lately about how Europe (some of at least) handles these things.

> NC already has a concept of use, and has been recommended as a
> substitute for BY-SA for photographs to prevent precisely this breaking
> of people's expectation of reciprocal use. It would be better to satisfy
> this expectation with stronger copyleft than to push NC as the wrong
> solution to the wrong problem.
>
> Possibly the collective copyright on the combined works could be used,
> or the copyright on the layout (if one exists). We talked about these
> possibilities the last time photo licensing came up on cc-licenses.
> Failing that the use context can be defined by example.

I think here we are closer together.

> Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> > I like all of your points, including the last one, but it is a little
> > unclear. I think what you mean is that for "embedded" uses, the
> > containing document should have to be under a free license, not
> > necessarily a compatible copyleft license. This would address use of
> > copyleft images on Wikinews (CC BY), for example.
>
> It would have to be free rather than just CC. Using BY-SA within an NC
> or ND context would break reciprocity for example.

Right, it would have to be a Free license that is compatible with the new
BY-SA or the BY-SA+ license.