cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:21:52 +0100

Quoting Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>:

Pictures
are personal data (and in some circumstances, may even be sensible
personal data), so I would agree that under some circumstances, courts
may answer "yes" to the question of violation of rights.

One artist I spoke to in 2005 who was making a film by requesting CCTV footage featuring them in London said that they found that companies were getting less co-operative with personal data requests for CCTV footage. The companies had started insisting that you had to actually be doing something personal (kissing, praying) for the CCTV images to be personal data rather than just going about your daily business.

</hearsay>

- Rob.