cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:37:18 -0500

Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:
> IMHO the "model release clause" should be in included in the next version
> of
> the CC licences, though I m not sure how the incompatibility issue would be
> resolved.

What would such a clause say?

The person with the legal authority to sign a model release is not the
creator of the work, but the person who is depicted. Thus it clearly
can't be a standard part of the license to include the model release.

I think this requires a process outside of the license itself (though
something merely informative might appear in the license text and the
"deed") to make it more clear that other, non-copyright legal issues
might exist.

Cheers,
Terry